Decay question

J_Sno

I built myself a base first from twig to lay down the structure, and the upkeep was <10k wood (don't remember the exact number) according to the tool cupboard. I then upgraded about maybe 25-30% of it to sheet metal, and the costs to prevent decay skyrocketed! The cost is now 4650 wood and 8532 metal frags per day. Is the cost of higher tier materials to prevent decay supposed to be so much higher (I literally don't know - haven't played Rust in a while, and this was the first server I came back to)? I thought it was just a 1:1 conversion of wood:<new material> upkeep cost when you upgrade but this current conversion is pretty insane and dis-incentivizes base upgrades

Edited by J_Sno
  • Love 1

Actually nevermind - the conversion rates do seem to be 1:1 I think - but the duration that it'll be protected gets decreased by 30 minutes when I upgrade from twig to armored

Before:

image.png.0975ddd4827db3f984d884df818b5cb4.png

After upgrading 1 ceiling from twig to sheet metal:

image.png.dafbb97129aad9eb9b5c62c1f0a55508.png

To be honest I can't really tell why it's so much more expensive to upkeep metal structures compared to twig, using their respective materials to maintain them. Perhaps someone can give more insight?

Edited by J_Sno

(Another reply since I can't seem to edit my post)

The images I uploaded seems to be broken now for some reason, but the duration decrease I was referring to was when I upgraded a floor from twig to steel plate*. After talking with Aurora, it seems to be the upkeep rate is the same as vanilla but the decay rate (after there is no more upkeep materials) is modified to be slower, but would still like some confirmation as to what the exact case is exactly in this server

It's been my experience that stone and metal fragments are the highest consumers per area.
High quality metal and wood tend to be low in number, but upgraded wooden structures (not the twig structures) consume more than just twig structures per area.

I haven't worked out any numbers, I suppose I will start my game right now and calculate it and make an official number per platform and post results here. Be back in a bit (going to make coffee first).
But I can tell you now, frags will be higher than wood upkeep without any doubt. (unless math proves me wrong then rather than my intuition/experience).

• Like 1

I know Warlord Ubba already posted his numbers but I'd just like to say that upkeep is based on material invested. twig and armored structures require the lowest quantity of mats to build and therefore take less to upkeep. Wooden, stone, and sheet metal require a relatively higher quantity of materials to build, therefore have a higher requirement of mats for upkeep.

22 hours ago, Simuuun said:

I know Warlord Ubba already posted his numbers but I'd just like to say that upkeep is based on material invested. twig and armored structures require the lowest quantity of mats to build and therefore take less to upkeep. Wooden, stone, and sheet metal require a relatively higher quantity of materials to build, therefore have a higher requirement of mats for upkeep.

After a little study, that seems to be very correlated to (if not exactly) the decay rates. I think this is may indeed be where the rates are coming from, good to know

• Like 1
  • Love 1