Feedback & Suggestions

Death

• Staff
1 hour ago, Fyreswrath said:

A quickie....does the server have the signage mod (SIGN ARTIST (0.2.0) I think) so that we can upload pics to signs?

I tried and it didn't appear that we do (or my likely I was doing it wrong!)

Fyre

This suggestion has come up a few times already so I'll leave some highlights of the previous discussion. This feature can and will be abused at any chance given as it's impossible to add filters to prevent nudity and or racism. Also, this will encourage more people to make many more signs which just add more assets to load on start up.

If you think otherwise we'll love to see your own input on the matter.

So just about everyone may disagree with me, but someone had mentioned farming with no goal. Honestly that's kind of true in a sense. I'm thinking of an idea such as quests (hunting, gathering and what not) It gives more purpose and feel to the server so then farming wouldn't become completely repetitive. You could do a rewards system for various tasks such as x amount of resources in return, buiding supplies, etc and it would really conflict with the online store. Just some thoughts @Death

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Death said:

@Billy Madison That would be very interesting. Perhaps having NPC vendors to trade, sell and buy? The PvE community is rather small right now so that would hopefully add some depth to the economy as the server grows.

Low key check out Isle of Refuge. Their toxic but you'd get an idea of npc vendors and quests.

Edited by Billy Madison

There are a lot of servers with quests, stores, reward programs etc.  Each a different mix of these.  I would love true PVE to block base looting, no-twig to block twigging, and looting of sleepers and corpse to steam friends.  Some servers set resource stack size to 10K which is a boon to building and marathon foraging.  Quests look interesting but I have not tried them.  I look at my history once I am home to see if I can find some samples of different set ups.  When I find interesting ones I slap it on the home server to see how it works.  There are literally hundreds of Oxide mods out there.  The challenge is to keep the server stable when adding these as they do not all play nice together.  Nothing like a log file full of exceptions...  the challenge of running these servers, adding features, keeping the lights on and being an admin... Does death ever get to sleep?

You have done well to get the mix you have.

• Like 1

• Staff

@mspeedie being able to twig on pure is both a good thing and a bad thing. It's bad knowing someone can twig over defenses but the good thing is that it's prepping players for vanilla game play. The majority of PVP servers have twigging enabled and I would not want to give a new player the wrong idea about the game and end up being blindsided in the real world. The community tab is nothing but vanilla because Rust, face punch, does not want new players to think mods are part of the game. That's why there's a dedicated modded section.

As for quests and NPCs, there is something in the works for the modded PvE server.

PS: I noticed I haven't yet made a suggestions and feedback thread for the pure server.

Once you go modded, Vanilla is kinda dull other than as a challenge.  I'd have to drag Fyre back kicking and screaming.  I mentioned playing there a bit and got the look.  I want to play a little on it, but mainly to nudge folks to the modded server.  My plan on modded is to put some road houses near the spawn in points and full road houses near the roads to help them get a good start.  But that would be post wipe.  I'd just potter on Vanilla when I can.  Fyre will have classes at night two days a week so I am a free man those nights.

I remember Syn reading me the riot act on how my base was an accident waiting to happen.  I could have been a star in the how not to Rust video.  I don't think there was anything safe about my house.  I now understand why all the pretty buildings are empty.  They aren't safe to live in, but are fun to build.  It would be lovely in PVE to have windows and not worry.  But right now it is bunker or bust.

I wonder what percent of new players are doing PVE to practice for PVP?  I had my friend and his crew play on modded to practice for PVP, so I know it is not uncommon.  They came to the modded as it was quicker to get geared up and make a base.  But they are not typical players and understood the implications of differences server types.   PVP players on PVE are transient, most will move on quickly, other than to test base designs and heli strategies.  I guess I am keen to make PVE sticky to build a community that stays around, rather than a half-way house to PVP.  But it depends on what your strategy is in terms of path you are trying steer players to.

How Rust does the server list is geared towards playing their game, their way.  For PVP that makes some sense in that is is consistent, but for PVE, not so much.  

Differentiation is the key to attracting and retaining players regardless of server type.   The trick is to get new folks to check the modded tab in the client.  Your set up for PVE modded is one of the better mixes.  Easy but not too easy, and not obnoxious.  I was on one server that literally had an ad every two minutes.  They did however have gift for time played geared for expected level of the new player at that point.  Kind of like kits over time to lead folks along.  that seemed novel.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Fyreswrath said:

Seeing campfires come on at dusk is a pretty cool way to impart the "yes folks live here" feel, and the warm glow is lovely.

Chances of having this on survival please?

Fyre

Agree - would love that feature.

13 hours ago, Death said:

@Fyreswrath @Ziva I will see what I can do, but this issue with this turning on a players campfire and burning their wood. There would be no work around unless I make campfires consume no wood which would be a tad bit too OP for PvE.

I agree, those what want to us it will dump a couple thousand wood in the thing (which on survival is easy to get) and be good for a pretty long time.  If you assumed half the time you burned it - 12 hours at 6 wood every min just under 5,000 wood per real life day (check my math might be messed up!).

Edited by Ziva

I'd like to see a repeatable quest for low grade oil something like 

"Who needs an oil pump?"

Collect 20 animal fat and 20 cloth for 60 lowgrade oil and 40 coins.  The coins is awarded for the first turn in, but the lowgrade oil is always there for later turn ins.

• Like 3

• Staff

@Fyreswrath A few were added yesterday under various categories. More will come soon but I would like to get a quest expire system going to reduce repetitiveness in questing. More quests will also be added in slowly so it's not overwhelming.

@Skivies the current quest plugin is very basic in terms of quest and reward but regardless I will see to that quest being added.

• Like 1

There was talk about something to add fuel back to lights that were empty.  I think you said when there's a soft reboot or something the fuel may drop 1 - so if you took out all the fuel but 1 it would go to zero.  Not knowing that - we emptied a lot of lights to 1 and now we have groves of lights burned out.  Even if it was 3 fuel or something so it couldn't be exploited would be a help.

As a lesson's learned we will not be taking fuel out of the lights in the future!!

-Z

• Love 1

If we can sequence quest so they open up based on completion of others we could walk new players through the basics of:

chop wood

make a map

Drink (from a river)

find corn (by a river)

find pumpkin (by a river)

get some more wood

get some stone

make tools (axe and pick)

collect cloth

make an bow and arrows

.... etc.