Making an Inn this coming Cycle

SCE_Wraith

Hi guys and gals,

I was looking at making kind of a Tavern or Inn near the center of the map this Wipe Cycle and was wondering what yall thought of the idea.  Or if you've done something similar in the past, how it worked out for you.

My intentions are to provide a central location where people can craft, meet up, and log off as needed, as well as sleeping bag/bed deployment.  My plan does include some vending machines, which would be focused towards basic survival and harvesting tools.  So climate oriented clothes, metal hatchets and picks, shotguns for hunting, that sort of thing.

To address housing and residents, I plan to have 8 rooms to start with plans for expansion.  Initially rooms will be free without locks in order to help newbies along or the like.  And if someone want's a permanent room for the duration of the Wipe Cycle we can make arrangements for locked and upgraded rooms.  The idea is that you can have a stash and bag/bed in the middle of the map for convenience and NOT to be a permanent resident.  Though if you decide you want to live on site, we can maybe work that out as well.

A FREE Room includes a Sleeping Bag, 2 Chests, and a Lantern.  No lock.

A permanent room, after a price is agreed upon, will be upgraded to have one shelf with 4 chests, a bed, a "bedside table" with Lantern, Rug "carpeting," and a code locked door.  Other features may be discussed.

The Common Room/Shop/Craft Space will be open 24/7 and stocked as needed.  If I am on site, I'll happily chit-chat, trade, craft, and haggle for goods.  My living space will be in the third floor attic, and if I'm bored I may sit on the front porch shooting at my neighbors or some such other nonsense.

Cheers!

Well I'm not sure what I have in mind works with your town concept, but we can certainly talk about it.

My idea is to have a centralized Inn so that people can borrow a space instead of building a second, or third, smaller base, or a "bag in a box" and then have their primary base elsewhere.  Though the current use of cars may trivialize my concept.  This is a variation of a concept I once built in ARK on a PVP server, and it worked surprisingly well.  But part of why that worked so well is because I didn't have any neighbors.

To me an Inn located inside a town (specifically in Rust) eventually defeats the purpose of an Inn as people build or take up their own residences and then do what they want on their own terms.  This is perfectly fine to me if it happens organically.  But being in the middle of a pre-built collection of homes/bases doesn't work for me.

So you want to build a town, I guess what I should really ask is what does that mean to you?  Are you talking about a walled off compound with a bunch of homes and a central crafting space?  Or are you thinking more like an old west town center with a general store, hotel, saloon, and bank?  And then have people move in to the area on their own taking advantage of the local resources as needed?  What is your idea of a "town?"

My idea isn't huge with the core building being 6x7 and five walls tall.  It's kind of a classic two-story small town DnD tavern design.  Each guest room is planned to be 2x2.  Do a peaked roof and have my personal room in the attic.  Depending on how it goes I can expand out into some additional buildings, but it seems 8 is probably about right to start.  I've pretty much already blocked the whole mess out in Fortify.

Also as far as my shops are concerned, I don't plan on selling everything.  Just tier 1 and 2 field kit that cannot be made in the first 15-20 minutes of play.  (Basically my regular harvesting and hunting gear.)  Let other people specialize in weapons, armor, building parts, and stuff.  I think the hardest thing for me to get into is going to be my Tier 2 and 3 Workbench for the common room.

But a lot of my placement is going to depend on how the map rolls.

I saw the big hotel across from Aly's shop this cycle and I'm curious just how much actual use it got.

That wasn't a hotel, that was someone's base that they blocked the quarry off of and such. My shop did fairly well though, and I myself was going to try to aim for the center if it isn't too close to launch. I don't like hearing bradley constantly, which is what kept me from the center for this last wipe.

I swear the tall odd looking wood structure was a "hotel."  I recall the owner trying to sell me a room during a visit to your store once.  It was next to the big square building containing the quarry.

Yeah, this cycle I think technically the map center was that big mountain.  Which helps no one building flat based buildings.

Edited by SCE_Shadewolfe

2 hours ago, Twitch | Cynical Syndicate said:

Better yet sce, how about we make a town centralized around an inn or a hotel? I have most things researched so if you need something I can most likely make it come thursday

So Cyn,...

18 hours ago, SCE_Shadewolfe said:

I guess what I should really ask is what does that mean to you?  Are you talking about a walled off compound with a bunch of homes and a central crafting space?  Or are you thinking more like an old west town center with a general store, hotel, saloon, and bank?  And then have people move in to the area on their own taking advantage of the local resources as needed?  What is your idea of a "town?"

Cyn,

I hear what you are saying however you have not answered my questions regarding what you have in mind for "building a town."  I am interested in what you have in mind in order to see if I can work within your concept, as your plan has a greater scope.  Now reading your other post about building a town, your concept is (paraphrased) "a Fallout inspired town near the Military Tunnels."  That's it.

At this point in time I don't think our plans would work well together.

• Your desired location may not match my own.
  • As far as I can tell your design aesthetic does not match my own.
  • You haven't answered any of my questions about your desired project.
  • And I'm not looking for a co-owner for my Inn.
Edited by SCE_Shadewolfe
Formatting